The Lighthouse of Garður

The Lighthouse of Garður

Kaum ein Tourist kommt hier an die Nordspitze der Halbinsel Reykjanes raus, zu Nahe liegt der Flughafen von Kevlavik. Garður liegt 10 Kilometer nördlich von Keflavík an der Strasse Nr 45. Garður ist für Island mit hat ca. 1.400 Einwohner schon eine grosse Gemeinde, in der Agglomeration Reykjavik unbekannt irgendwo am Rande.

Spannend hier ist die Natur. Im Frühsommer brüten  Küstenseeschwalbe, die Kanadagans und viele Möwenarten.

Für die Touristen hat es hier draussen einen schönen Zeltplatz, in unmittelbarer Nähe von zwei Leuchttürmen. Vom kleinen, alten Leuchtturm hat man eine gute Aussicht und kann, falls das Wetter mitspielt, bisweilen auch Wale und Delphine sowie selten auch Robben beobachten.

Es gibt ein ein Wanderweg, der an Küste entlang führt.

Mehr Bilder über Island findest Du im  Portfolio Iceland – fire and ice.

The Lighthouse on Garðskagi

 

The lighthouses in Garðskagi were constructed 1897 and the second one in 1944 but a landmark had been there since 1847 and later a lamp was added to the landmark at 1884. The old lighthouse was used as a bird observatory on behalf of Natural History foundation from 1962 to 1978 At Garðskagi you can enjoy the scenery that is spectacular and enjoy watching the wild birds. The old Lighthouse is often an inspiration in both art and photography.
The majestic Garðskagaviti, designed by Axel Sveinsson engineer, was built in 1944 to replace older Garðskagaviti that was both too low and vulnerable to land infringement. The cylindrical concrete tower is 28.6 meters in height with a light house that is an English construction. The lighthouse was coated with bright quartz initially but was covered with white repair and sealants in 1986. At first optics were used from the older Garðskagaviti but in 1946 electric was led to the new lighthouse. In 1960 a new lens was put in place instead of the one since 1897 it is a four way facing rotation lens.
At Garðskagi the lighthouse keeper had permanent residence and remained so until 1979. The lighthouse keepers house still stands, built in 1933 to a design by architect Einar Erlendsson. Byggðasafn Garðskaga or The Municipal Museum in Garður operates in the outbuildings of the lighthouse keeper estate.
Garðskagi lighthouse is open in good weather in order to enter inside you must first go to the Museum and talk to the director of The Municipal Museum in Garður.